Wednesday, July 27, 2011

One of Life's Many Paradoxes


So many lessons lately.  In the book, When I Don't Desire God, Piper draws a distinction I had never noticed before.  It is that we often take  a piece of something, and attribute, and we equate that attribute with the whole. 

For example, in the book, he talks about how love brings us pleasure.  However, love is not pleasure, and pleasure is not love.  Love can bring about pleasure, but you can find pleasure in many things apart from love.  

What often happens is that we fall in love, and become fixated on the pleasure aspect, instead of the love.  when we do this, we lose sight of love and end up somewhere else.  The irony is that we lose the pleasure of love in the process.  

Yet, if we pursue loving God, loving someone, even through the moments when it there is no pleasure in it, we will ultimately experience pleasure greater than we could have ever thought possible in the beginning.  It is one of many life's paradoxes.  


I am starting a new "thing".  I am going to start a lyric of the day whenever I post.  I am going to select a partial lyric from a song.  It is something I have been doing lately, reading lyrics, and have found great enjoyment in it that I would like to share.
Here is the first go at my:

Lyric of the day:

It's such, it's such a perfect day.  
It's such a perfect day.
I-I-I-I
Now the sky could be blue
I don't mind
Without you it's a waste of time
Could be blue 
I don't mind
Without you it's a waste of sun
Could be blue
Could be gray
Without you I'll just slide away
The sky could be blue
I don't mind
Without you it's a waste of time


No comments:

Post a Comment