Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Hill Country Blues

I have never been a bird person.  I prefer animals with antlers or horns, as is my genetic disposition.  Yet, I have really grown to appreciate birds more.  There dispositions are not usually pleasant, but they are aesthetically amazing.  
Besides, it was a bird filled weekend.  I had a grackle poop on my mac.  Chelsea almost almost got dropped on just before her graduation.  Tanner and I were talking about how grackles are country pigeons.  Daddy Jake used to have me go out back and shoot grackles with a pellet gun when I was little.  They are a menace, but their crackly call reminds me of home, so I am oddly fond of them.  The blueish sheen on their feathers is pretty amazing as well.



We fed the ducks and geese at Landa Park with Ryan.  It was hysterical.  She was so excited, yet afraid of the geese.  Can't blame her, as the geese do look rather mean.  Chelsea was a real champ with her, and helped her feed them.  We all remarked at a certain duck species.  Here it is:



I don't ever recall seeing these before.  As I said, we all remarked at just how odd they looked.  Somewhere between a duck and a goose.

Lastly, as we were driving out to Gruene on Sunday, I was so excited catch a glimpse of one of these, a Meadowlark.  Just like the title of my favorite song.   The Meadowlark was just a few feet away.  I couldn't believe how close I was, and the Meadowlark didn't even notice.  There for but a few seconds, then left.  The Meadowlark was beautiful.



It really was a great weekend.  Honestly, that is probably why I am struggling with depression a bit.  It's okay though.  I am learning that thankfulness is such an amazing thing for your heart.  All I can be is thankful.  Thankful that I got to go.  That I can call such a place Home.  That I ever knew such a Home.  With such a spirit, I can still miss Home and yet have my heart fixed on the goodness and graciousness of God, and not buy into lies that tell me I need to be hear or there, or need to have this or that.  With thankfulness in my heart, I can go anywhere, and never lose my way, sad though I may be, and heavy is my heart.  Praise God.  

2 comments:

  1. Good perspective, Nick. And just know, fellow "left the nest" Hill Country'ers are sharing the blues with you...like myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Claire. I really appreciate the compliment!

    ReplyDelete