Friday, October 21, 2011

The War Against Eyebrows.

Most of my posts are serious, and of the theological nature, but sometimes a bit of lightheartedness and good humor are welcome

Don't think that I am blind to the tawdriness that is us... men.  I see most of our general shortcomings, I would think.  We dress funny.  We forget, or don't care to keep our ears and nose hairs from becoming overgrown forests.  Most of us are a walking examples of bad taste and hygiene, saved only by the loving care of a dutiful woman ready to play ken doll.  When it comes to appearance, effort, and taste, woman dominate.  It's not even a competition.  If good taste were people, women would be China, and men Luxembourg.  

However, women are not without a few chinks in their nearly perfectly matching, timelessly hand crafted Italian armor they got on sale at Ross for ten dollars when it used to be four hundred.  There are two huge chinks I have noticed, but I am hear to address only one... the war against eyebrows. 

Over the last several weeks I have subbed a lot.  Middle school, elementary, special ed., you name it.  During that time, I finalized the notion that something has gone terribly wrong.  Almost every woman I have been around has nearly plucked their eyebrows into oblivion.  Where there was once two natural looking, facial-expression-intensifying, beautiful eyebrows are now four hairs that somehow missed the plucker's voracious eye. 


It makes me wonder who has given modern women the impression that having normal to thick eyebrows is bad.  Personally, I prefer them to the thin ones any day.  Eyebrows really do accentuate expression, and frame the eye's beauty. 

I understand having thick eyebrows.  My heritage is predominantly Scots-Irish.  Meaning, if left au naturale, I could shave my head and the hair from my eyebrows could function as an effective comb-over.  I really do get it.
But, if you don't want an overgrown yard, you don't wack the grass down to it's roots, exposing the dirt below.  You find the balance.  The same goes with eyebrows.
 

So, put the tweezers and wax down, go look at a picture of the beautiful Brook Shields, and see that eyebrows need not be wiped of the face of... well... your face.

2 comments:

  1. Just saw your link to this come up in my FB feed and was curious.
    Pretty blog, fun post. And I was gonna mention Brook Shields if you weren't, then you got it in there at the end. I actually thought (from various fashion magazines) that full eyebrows a la Ms. Shields were coming back, in the last year or so. Many celebrities are sporting them. And before you got to your point, I was afraid you were making a case against women with 'unruly' brows, suggesting we all work harder at minimizing them. So as one who prefers her own (well groomed) natural shape, I'm glad to hear it's appreciated :) ...now perhaps I'll look around you blog a little more, I'm curious about its title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krystal,
    Thanks for the compliments. I surely appreciate normal (well groomed) eyebrows. As I said, I have to maintain mine for fear of them overtaking my actual hair. Most of my posts are more serious, and theologically based, as that is what I think about the most. I suppose I could use to lighten it up more often. The name has no real meaning beyond the fact that it sounds cool, and the Fleet Foxes are one of my favorite bands.

    ReplyDelete