Sunday, September 11, 2011

Writer's Block

I could really use some prayer for a clear heart and mind as it pertains to Light Blue.  I have taken the advice given from those whom have read it.  I have measured it, kept what I wanted to apply, and am ready to move forward.  However, I am struggling to feel it.  Somewhere along the way, I have lost sight of it.  I am also frustrated that I haven't finished it.  My imagination has already thought up another ten possible books to write since starting Light Blue.  There is surely a significant spiritual battle going on surrounding this book.  Please pray that my heart and mind would sharpen and cut through the cloud that has made going forward a confusing process, where it was once so free and open and real.

To all my friends, you are in my thoughts.  You are the constant audience in my heart and mind.  You are a gift God has given to help me press on toward the prize.  Whether I saw you last yesterday, or ten years ago (Alina.  Way too long.), my affection for you has not diminished.  Like it or not, you are piece of me, just like my left hand.  I pray for you constantly.

Also, I want to comment back on what I wrote yesterday on our response to the threat of idolatry.  The reason that subject comes up so often is because it is a personal struggle for me.  Much how a recovered alcoholic reviles alcohol, so do I despise this lie, as it stole much joy from me in my youth.  I should've mentioned my part in it, but I forgot. 


3 comments:

  1. Whenever I get writer's block, I find it's best to step back and examine what it is I'm writing and WHY I'm writing to begin with. Is it because I want money? Fame? Respect? Am I writing for myself? Am I writing because I think I can help everyone else? Am I writing for God? If you find yourself answering "yes" to any of those questions, I suggest reevaluating your motivations.

    Do not write "for" anyone. Not even God. God doesn't need you to write for him. He doesn't need anything. Write because you love to write. Write because you love the story, you love the characters. You love everything about it. And if there's something about it that you don't love, then get rid of it.

    Remember that God is love. But just as importantly, love is God. So if you're writing with love, you're writing with God. Have faith in that love. Know that it will guide you past any hurdles you may encounter.

    But if you don't have that love for your work, if you're doing it for any other reason besides love, then you have to let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your input. Part of the reason I have struggled to write is because I love it, but love is complicated. Yes, I surely hope to get paid, though that is not why I write, ,merely a plus. I surely am writing for people, because I love them. I write for my brothers and sisters. I yearn to move and encourage them with my words. I promise you, difficult though it may be at times, love is certainly what drives me, and I surely know why I am writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love is simple! It's your brain that complicates it. But that's a conversation for another time.

    You know why you're writing, that's good. But do you actually love what it is that you're writing right now? The actual book itself? Do you love the story, the characters, or whatever it is you're specifically writing about?

    I have no doubt that you do. You wouldn't feel that frustration if it wasn't something you cared about. There's gotta be something else. I can't tell if it's within the actual writing itself, or if it's coming from someplace like fear. I can tell you that all of the frustration and trepidation I've ever felt while writing stemmed from my fear of failure (or worse... disappointment).

    But, like I said, if you're not in love with your work... you have to let it go. It's tough, it really is, especially if you've invested so much time in it. But trust me, it's not worth spending your energy on something you're not fully committed to. You wouldn't marry someone that you just "kinda" love. Same goes for this. It doesn't mean you're quitting. It doesn't make you a failure. It just means that something better is on the horizon.

    Just remember, as long as you're doing what you love to do, you can never fail.

    ReplyDelete