Friday, September 16, 2011

Love trusts...

A few days a go I posted a sentence.  It said, "Love always takes the best meaning."  What I mean by this is simple.  Love involves trust.  There are more ways than we know of to alienate ourselves or each other.  Language in particular is fraught with challenges for intimacy.  So wild is communication that, if you wanted to, you could mistrust and twist everything someone says to mean something bad. 

I have experienced this time and again.  I remember trying to woo a girl back in college.  She simply would not give me the time of day.  We would hang out.  I would say something to be charming or funny, and she absolutely shot it down, no matter what.  Nothing I could say was funny.  Nothing.  At the same time, her friends could not say anything not funny.  They would make a face like a two year old, and she would die of laughter. 

The more I care for someone, the more I trust what they say.  This is at least what I try to do, especially with age.  It has certainly applied in my marriage.  Satan spends gobs of time trying get us to feel that the other is being condescending, threatening, cheeky, uncaring, when they are not. 

So, who do you care for?  What do you believe about them?  If you believe in them, then take the best meaning possible when they say something.  Keep your heart open.  Don't let Satan take what is done and said and twist it into something it is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment