Monday, September 5, 2011

A Life to Behold

Something has been on my heart and brain all day yesterday and today.  I keep thinking about the life of Jesus and of those in the New Testament in particular.  What has been running through my mind when I think about them is the type of life they led.  The key thought has to do with what our lives are for, and in particular, what kinds of risks are to be made with them. 

Jesus lived only to his early thirties.  Most of the new testament greats died young by our standards. 
Don't get me wrong in thinking that I am saying that dying young is something to long for.  I am surely not.  The Bible is very clear that a long life is a blessing.  Read proverbs and the Psalms, and you will see it again and again.  My question has to with heart, not outcome.  How do I hold this life?  Do I hold it lightly when everyone else tells me to hold onto it with the utmost ferocity?  Or do I be frivolous with it?  Surely it is neither.

As I pray and seek, I find God's recurring answer to have nothing to do with numbers, but trust and sacrifice.  His answer is to simply give, and let Him worry about the result.  Live long, short, whatever.  The answer is to live open and full, not withholding anything.  That is what I am trying to do daily, and is what I am busy praying for when I beseech God on behalf of others.  I ask that we would all live for Him, with abandon, though not reckless.  For me, as I go forward, and am searching for where God would have me spend my days, I am becoming more and more excited, though nothing outwardly has really changed.  Simply, God has been ever faithful to hear my prayers for a heavy hand in my life and yours.

Hebrews 5:7-9
7 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. 
8 Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered.  
9 And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him, 

Redeeming Love
By Amy Stroup


Verse:
Too late to tell
The damage done
Too late to find
Where the source came from
Forgiveness call
Bacons me
To find the courage and let it be

Chorus:
And I Fix my Eyes
On redeeming love
And I Fix my Eyes
On redeeming love
And I Fix my Eyes
On redeeming love
I fix my eyes on Redeeming Love

Verse:
Can’t turn back time
Can’t erase the truth
Can’t relieve the things you
Wanna undo
So fall forward
Let it mark your soul
Keep your heart tender
And your thoughts bold

Chorus

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nick! You should check out Shaun Groves' new song, All Is Grace - it is awesome. I know you'll like it. It would be a fun one to start learning, too.
    I listened to it at aholyexperience.com and on amazon. It is on itunes, too.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete