Thursday, August 18, 2011

The End Does NOT Justify the Means

The End may justify the means for some people, but not for Christians.  The means is tied into the end.  It isn't about just scoring the touchdown in Christianity, it is about how you get to the end zone as well.  If you kill someone in order to spread the gospel, then you have missed the boat.  That is dramatic, but let's be more realistic.  If you lie in order to maintain the balance of your ministry you have failed.  Time and again I have seen ministries preach grace, light and love, and then fail to practice them.  It isn't that I don't understand why.  We think about the calling we have, to share the gospel to the world.  It is such a great end.  However important that end is, God doesn't give us clearance to skip steps. 

I have seen a ministry fire a man because his wife left him, and the idea of having a divorced person on staff was an embarrassment.  I have seen ministry leaders belittle and berate those under them.  I have seen massive abuse at the hands of those who are leading ministries.  In each case, the heart and excuse for the abuse is the same.  Though it will be worded in Christian words, the message is that the end (sharing the gospel) justifies the means (the abuse).  This happens when men take their eyes from God and His word, and start leaning on their own understanding. 

Why else would these organizations be so cruel?  So harsh?  Is that real ministry?  Is that the heart of a ministry?  We have all met people who smile to your face, but are cruel underneath.  That is the truth of most ministries, sadly.  The awful part of this is that there are people just dying for an excuse to reject submission to God.  No one is ever to blame for anyone else's sin.  Surely, though, we can help or hinder.  Such legalism and lack of grace just hurts.  I have been told quite a few times in my life that I would make a good pastor.  Though it is not the reason (I have never felt called) the idea of working at a church absolutely horrifies me.  Much of this is my own problem, as my expectation of humans has been too high.  Pastors, elders, deacons, ministry directors are all just Christians, and I don't follow Christians, I follow Christ. 


In the end, we must come to God and cry out to Him to guide us.  What scares me is that I know I am no better.  I see these injustices unfold, and all I can do is throw myself at the cross and beg God to strengthen me, to guide me, that with His grace, I would not be cruel, ungracious, and tepid in leadership. 


It is with a heavy but hopeful heart that I write all this.  Let us pray for the church.  Let us pray that we would be slow to judgement in anger of others, and quick to forgive and willing to trudge through the mess that is human relations at time.  Pray that God would bring about a change in our hearts, that our place in ministry would be seasoned with wisdom and a heart that clings to the foot of God, and does not lean on our own understanding.  Pray that those people who would use such strife to excuse their sin would be rebuffed and drawn by the Holy Spirit.  Lastly, and on another note, let us pray for rain where it is dry.  


Meditations:



Exodus 23:1 ESV

"You shall not spread a false report. You shall not join hands with a wicked man to be a malicious witness.
 

Deuteronomy 5:20 ESV

"'And you shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
 

Psalm 27:12 ESV

Give me not up to the will of my adversaries; for false witnesses have risen against me, and they breathe out violence.
 

Temptations to Sin

1 And he said to his disciples, "Temptations to sin are sure to come, but woe to the one through whom they come! 2 It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were cast into the sea than that he should cause one of these little ones to sin. 3 Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, 4 and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, 'I repent,' you must forgive him."  
 

Luke 11:4 ESV

and forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation."
 

Forgive the Sinner

5 Now if anyone has caused pain, he has caused it not to me, but in some measure--not to put it too severely--to all of you. 6 For such a one, this punishment by the majority is enough, 7 so you should rather turn to forgive and comfort him, or he may be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. 8 So I beg you to reaffirm your love for him. 9 For this is why I wrote, that I might test you and know whether you are obedient in everything. 10 Anyone whom you forgive, I also forgive. Indeed, what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ, 11 so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment