Saturday, July 30, 2011

Music Musings

My new job has me on the internet more than I'd like.  One of the few things that has been great about it, is that when I take my breaks, I peruse for new music, one of my favorite things to do.  Several thoughts have come to me today.

One is that I find that playing guitar has actually, and ironically, stifled my music creativity.  A guitar string broke about two weeks ago, and in that time of no guitar, music has flowed through me like it used to.  I think it is because, at least for me, playing is a very focused endeavor.  It narrows my world of music down.  Without that narrowing, music has started to play again in my head.  Usually it is a symphony, that seems to be my brains default.  Sometimes it will vary though.  Just an interesting thought, I thought.  Ha.

It amazes me what sticks to us.  We find such joy in details, things not intended to be powerful are often the most powerful.  I was listening to a song just while earlier, and was moved by the strangest thing... the breaths the singer was taking.  So often, in overly produced recordings, they will cut that out, along with the shrill of fingers sliding along the strings.  I love both.  When I heard those breaths, I just thought about how real the singer was.  They are alive, and that simple fact moves me.  

In my search for music, I have had a growing tug in my heart, an excitement, the kind I get when I feel excited about seeing God move.  The tug was that there is such a need for good music that directly talks about God.  I don't want to say Christian music, not to be contrarian.  Simply, what is often not considered to be Christian stirs my heart more to loving God than what is called Christian.  There is so much room for it, and so much of a hunger.  I am thirsty for music that speaks about God that is beyond the narrow formula that is considered Christian.  The major key is not the only key.  The drums don't always have to be so bright.  Vocals don't have to shine.  Not everything has to glisten like a fake smile.  We can show the dirt, the grit.  We can be creative, even a bit, dare I say, abstract at times, simply to explore the world of sound God has given us.  There is a void.  I am excited to see who finally fills it.

God forgive me for this heart that struggles.  I need you, and bad.  You are it.  You are all I have.  Be with those whom I love.  Guide them, keep them, love them.  Withhold no blessing, pleasant or not, from being given to them.  Whatever happens Lord, never be passive with them.  May the Holy Spirit prick our hearts and minds, Father.  May He stir our affections, that we might actually love others, not just in deed, but actually in our hearts.  Your will be done, Father.  In your Son Jesus' name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment