Monday, December 6, 2010

The Ministry of Prayer

Where would we be without the ministry of prayer?  Never mind the effect that other's prayers have had on my life, just thinking about having the ability to pray for others keeps me sane.  As the Holy Spirit draws me nearer, my joy in Christ grows, but so does my desire to glorify Him through service.  Christ identifies Himself with those who suffer, and thus, as Christians, our hearts constantly hurt for those in need.  If you could see inside my heart, you would see a battle ground.  I have never known peace on this Earth past that which is given in the form of hope.  But, as the moment, I see the battle and am swinging.  Yet, to be honest, I feel am mostly hitting nothing but air.  I long to be of service, yet how often do I manage to help anyone?  My wife assuages my fear daily, telling me I am of service, that I have served valiantly, that my fear is nothing but a lie.  When my heart calms, I can see that she is partly right.  But in part, my fear is true.  How much of my life have wasted on doing anything but those things that are of service to others, that profess love?  I am not even in contact with anybody but Kathleen on days when I am writing.  Hopefully my obedience in writing will be used.  So, what keeps my restless heart truly calm is prayer.  How incredibly amazing is prayer?  I can minister to your heart without being near you, or even knowing where you are.  I can but see your face and, whether aloud or in my mind, beseech God on your behalf, and effect your life, and you can do the same for me.  How amazing?!  So, as Paul said to the Colossions, "Devote yourselves in prayer, being watchful and thankful." or to the Philippians, "Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."



No comments:

Post a Comment