Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Christmas Lightism

Ok.  A bit of explanation for my recent lack of posting and Eeyore-ish Facebook statuses.  We'll see how sharing this goes.  If you don't already know.  I suffered from what is called a severe depressive episode, only unlike "The Office", my episode was not twenty-two minutes long, closer to twelve years.  That being said, by the grace of our Lord I have been made victorious over that for a few years now.  Still, about twice a year it hits me for a few weeks, and I just have to grin and bear it.  In all honesty, it is a really beautiful reminder of a work God did in me that I am all too ready to forget about.  Now, thanks to the prayers of those who know me, this last spell ended today.  
What an intro.  Dork.  Now to my actual post.  Something interesting happened a few days ago, and it has not left me.  Kathleen was sharing stories about North Carolina, and how when she first moved to Texas from there, she hated the way we did Christmas lights.  As she put it, she was being "A Christmas light snob."  She went on to talk about how in North Carolina it just wasn't proper to use anything other than white lights.  She then threw on a southern accent and mocked them playfully saying, "Them colored lights just ain't proper."  Now, tell me your heart didn't pique just a little reading that.  She was talking about lights, nothing else, but being trained as we are today in matters of racism, I physically winced at hearing her talk about how colored lights weren't as good as white ones in North Carolina.  I don't really have anywhere to go with this story honestly, I just think it is interesting.  Maybe not.    On another note, Christmas lights are pretty wonderful, are they not?  I am glad to live in Texas, where some people have them up year round (wink).  I love that there are so many kinds.  I can still see the lights my grandfather used to put up.  They were all blue.  They were the big, glass bulbed kind from the eighties, (the kind you had to be careful with, or they would shatter and kill you) meticulously spaced around the trim of their house on Ward St. in Midland.  Then there are the rope lights Tanner and I used to line the toilet in our dorm room at DBU.  Laugh all you want.  Mock away.  You always knew where the toilet was in the middle of the night.  I am glad that the fad of using those lights that dangle like ice sickles has faded, not because I don't like them at all, but because for a while everyone was using them, and it just felt lazy.  Come to think of it, have you ever seen the multicolored version of the ice sickle lights?  Think about that for a moment.  Multi-colored ice sickles?  What kind of snow would leave such an ice sickle?  I don't even want to know.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the post Nick.
    I should have asked you sooner but in reading this I understand your recent Facebook status'
    Praise the Lord that you got through those 12 years!
    I am glad you are over your recent bout of depression, and sorry that when I was over for Thanksgiving that I never even asked you how you were! I really am sorry.
    I have a question: How can you tell that this recent spell of depression is over? Do you just sense it?

    Being Northern Irish, I didn't think of racism when reading Kathleen's southern-type statement about the Christmas lights!
    It is funny that on my way home from work last Friday, I was thinking about Christmas lights and how you and Kathleen love houses and yards covered with lots of lights and how I don't! But have come to the conclusion that if lights are tastefully done then the more the merrier. The trees with red lights outside the Galleria Mall in Dallas are a perfect example of this, and I found it difficult not to say - "Wow! That is awesome!" when we drove past. On the other hand, in Northern Ireland, I have seen a few houses with tonnes of lights! But thrown together with no taste whatsoever, and I find it difficult not to say - "Wow! That is awful!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Richard. It is really heartening to read comments. It lets me know someone is actually reading, which isn't necessary, but is nice.
    As for the depression, don't worry about it. I am not sure if I asked you how you felt either. You know, in response to your question about how you know you are better, sometimes you don't. Unfortunately, depression changes you so much emotionally that you can lose your emotional compass. Sometimes you can be better but not whole and not see it, as you are simply excited that you feel a bit better. Having been well for a while now, I can see it. I know it when my heart reacts to life, even in painful ways.
    You wouldn't think that about the lights. If Northern Ireland were a strand of Christmas lights, it would be solid white. (wink) You should lead the charge and be a pioneer for overdone Christmas lights in N.I.
    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete