Tuesday, May 8, 2012

BEAUTIFUL PLACES

Tall trees, white sand, and of course... the ocean.  That's what I have been looking at these last couple of days.  Every time I am near the ocean or the mountains I wonder within my self, "Why don't I live here?  Or, at least some place like it?"

There is something incredible about being around such beauty.  It doesn't get old.  It may not always hold the edge it had when it first cut you, but it doesn't become dull.  When I lived in Ireland, I woke up every single day in shock.  I could literally sit up in my bed, look out the window, and see the Mourne Mountains cascade down to the Irish Sea.  It was, in a word, incredible.   

So, here I am again.  I find myself staring out at the ocean and I wonder, "There are hundreds of  thousands of miles of ocean coastline.  Why don't I live on any of them?  Or, why don't I live near the mountains?  There are mountains all over the Earth."

Deep down I know the answer.  It's people.  My friends and family live in Texas, and thus I want to live in Texas.  If I had the money to fly around when I wanted, I think that I would live elsewhere.  It isn't that Texas isn't pretty.  It is.  Particularly, the my home, the Hill Country, is beautiful.  Yet, Texas is a Jack of all trades and master of none.  We have good beaches, but not great beaches.  We have good mountains, but not great mountains.  Even our deserts aren't that incredible.  We have it all, but none of it is the best.

I don't really have an answer in my heart, just thoughts.  People are more important than the place.  That is for sure.  I am not saying that Texas has superior people.  Texas simply has MY people.  Does that make sense?

Honestly, if I had the money to travel wherever I wanted, I think I would still live in Texas, probably the Hill Country, and just travel a lot.  

Anyhow, it's a pointless, post of random musing, but I felt like sharing.  God is surely good.  Sometimes I think about other people and where they live.  I wonder  about what it must be like to live in France, to be French.  It is odd to me.  People live there.  This is obvious in my head, but as far as feeling it, it is new.  Or, to think that someone actually lives on some tiny speck of an island in the middle of the South Pacific.  It is crazy.  Then it hit me... someone out there is thinking, "Who is actually from Texas?  How weird would it be to hunt deer and wear cowboy hats?"

Again, more pointless musings.  If you have anything to add, leave a comment.  I'd love to hear any thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. It IS true...there are people we meet in Thailand who live near some of the best beacjhes in the world, or in the lush, exotic jungles...who are baffled and intrigued that we are from Texas. They imagine that everyone I know is a full-fledged cowboy. :)

    ReplyDelete