Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Home



Alright, well, I am going to be writing a bit differently than usual.  I don't have anything really profound to share, I think.  Today's post is going to be a bit more fragmented than usual.


So, to start, Kathleen and I moved this weekend!  We moved from the northernmost point of Dallas, essentially Plano, to Uptown Dallas.  All I can say, so far, is that it is pretty awesome!  Our world looks totally different.  We went from sprawling suburbia to high-rises (though we don't live in a high-rise).  

Our apartment in and of itself is beautiful.  Wood floors, directional lighting, just to name a few cool things.  

Then there's the complex, which is awesome.  We will actually swim in the pool.  The workout center is big.  There's a sauna, which is one of my favorite things in the world to partake of.  It's a beautiful complex, filled with really kind, sociable people all walking their dogs.  Our dog park looks out across the street to Victory Park.  The surrounding area is very urban, yet, the complex doesn't feel that way.  I feel tucked away, very calm, and very quiet.  All of it brings me to a heart of thankfulness and humility before God.  Can't help but say "thank you" again and again.

The surrounding area is just crazy to me.  Skyscrapers are everywhere.  In the afternoons, our apartment sits in the shadow of the W hotel.  At night, everything is lit up and going.  The Perot Museum for Nature and Science is across the street on the other side of us.  It looks as if the Cyborg Mother Ship landed across the street.  Our first night in the apartment, a Mavs game was going on.  Now, unfortunately, I don't like the Mavs, or I would be set.  Frankly, I hope they lose every game they play, unless they are playing the Lakers.  Still, seeing all of the people walking about was a lot of fun.   The Katy trail is just across the street.  Something we have discovered that is cool about being where we are, is that every road leads to you, so it doesn't take long to get almost anywhere.  Every major road intersects one block away from us.


All of this is a big surprise to me.  Frankly, I am not a city person.  I have always enjoyed the city, but have always leaned country.  I am a small town man.  Those of you who know me know this.  My dad raises deer for a living for crying out loud.  Still, I have never wanted to be one of those people who had to be in the country, or had to be in the city.  I want to be flexible, be open.  This life is short, and it isn't even really mine.  If it were mine, I'd live on fifty acres outside of New Braunfels.  That may one day happen, but that's up to God, not me.  I am pleased with this adventure God has me on.  He is surely good.



Speaking of New Braunfels, I am incredibly excited about my trip there this weekend.  I just want to be there.  Simply put, New Braunfels is my home, and when I say home, I mean, it is where I am from.  Dallas is home, in that it is where I live.  Dallas has also, oddly, become where most of my family lives.  All of my siblings have ended up here, completely on their own, and I could not be more pleased to have them near.  Still, home is home, and I can't wait to feel close to Home! 


I am looking forward to being in downtown New Braunfels particularly.  I want to sit at the gazebo and write and play my guitar and sing (poorly).  I always seem to leave and find a piece of myself there.  Gruene would be fun.  I wouldn't mind browsing through some antique stores, particularly the one that has that Red Rooster grill or whatever it is called.  I want to eat some hill country bar-b-que.  DFW bar-b-gue, in general, is sub-par for Texas bar-b-que.  Also, everything just feels different in the Hill Country.  It's more laid back than here, for sure.  

I look forward to seeing my friends.  Two of my best friends, Jason Lewallen and Andrew Traeger, are both in town, which never happens.  The three of us haven't been together in years, and haven't been together in New Braunfels since before Kathleen and I got married!  I am looking forward to getting to fly home too.  I love to fly.  I very much understand the physics behind flying.  I do, but visually there is something about seeing this huge piece of metal soar through the air like a bird that gets me.  Also, I just love heights.  It will be odd without Kathleen, but I am sure we are already planning to come down together again soon.

Lastly, the third chapter of Light Blue is being wrapped up.  It should be posted soon, possibly even as early as tomorrow!?  According to Kathleen, it is the best chapter I have written yet, (even compared to the fifteen I wrote for the rough draft).  Hopefully, you will agree.


All glory and praise be to God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment