Sunday, July 17, 2011

Peace in the End

One of the biggest changes in how I see the world now is in that I now know that there is a limit to how much peace and comfort to expect in this life.  Where as I used to feel that perhaps utopia was attainable, I now see otherwise.  Not that misery is needed.  Certainly not.  There will surely be miserable times, but all in all life is abundant.  It isn't even that the edge comes from my own personal little circle.  The edge of life comes form the fact that I love the people of this world.  God has stirred my affections, and with that affection comes a dichotomy of joy and sorrow.  Joy, in that I now can genuinely rejoice with those who rejoice, but I now also mourn with those who mourn.  The work is never done.  There is always more to be done in this life, more to fight for, more to sacrifice.  Even if I can get my little circle of friends and family all safe, well, and happy, I have to act as if they are all I care about in order to believe everything is a hundred percent okay.  My heart is burdened for the people of this world.  I spend my days begging God to mold me into something that can be of use, as I am not needed, but simply desire to be a part.  I beg Him that I could be an instrument for sharing His love, that I might point others toward the truth.  It is a wonderful burden, born from love, but it is never ceasing.  There is no point at which I will ever be able to be free of it for more than just a few moments.  This life is fleeting, and I am not under any impression that what I have materially has any lasting value.  Even my health is guaranteed to fail.  So, there is a wondrous sense of abandon that comes when you don't buy into the lie that having a house, or money, or even safety is what this life is about.  All are to be considered loss in the face of what is to come.  

May that ever be our hearts direction.

1 comment:

  1. Nick - have you ever read Heaven by Randy Alcorn? If you haven't, get it! You would love it, for sure.

    ReplyDelete