Thursday, November 11, 2010

(with action hero conviction) Balance?

I tend to spend a great deal of time, probably too much, inside my own head pondering cultural problems and what not.  For some reason I find it entertaining.  Now, whatever the topic my brain has decided to cling to and "meditate" (obsess) over, I tend to always come to a conclusion that there needs to be... BALANCE.  Let me start by giving you a little insight into how I process problems.  I like process problems by imagining that I am either teaching a class on whatever I am thinking about, or I hold a debate inside my head.  It's a very useful way to process a problem I think.  Besides, I like it, because I always win debates held in my mind, though my imaginary mental opponent would be quick to point out my massive home field advantage.  He would, but as my opponent lives only in my mind, I have the power to do whatever I want with him, and so have lit him on fire.  Now, the last time I won because my opponent kept sighing loudly and rolling his eyes whilst I made my comments.  Back on track, I always end up mentioning the need for balance when addressing almost any problem.  Pick a problem, and you will find the need for balance.  I feel it necessary to apply balance because, for whatever reason, we humans tend to gravitate toward extremes.  Yet, I always seem to come back to this same problem with just saying balance is needed.  The problem is that just saying the word "balance" is too formulaic I fear.  Take one half of extreme A, one half extreme B, and presto... balance!  A great example would be people that I would call "extremely" moderate.  These are people who have chosen their political stance based on this simple take on balance and peer pressure.  They take a problem, add one part liberal, one part conservative and done... moderate cocktail.  The funniest part is that people who are extremely moderate are every bit as proud of their extreme moderation as the most zealous ditto head or green peace member.  Then it hit me, that further explanation is needed to make the term really work. What is needed is the understanding that not all parts weigh the same.  Maybe on some subject liberalism weighs more, and so less of it is needed, and visa verse. Either way, the point is that attaining balance is not as simple as it first appears.  I realize this is the worst opening blog post ever.  I had a hard time writing it, as my own eyes involuntarily began to roll.  Hopefully it will be like watching a movie that is "so bad it is good", if there is such a thing.  Perhaps I will become the Ed Wood of blogging.  (Shakes head in shame)

1 comment:

  1. you kept my attention the entire time which for me it is saying alot. laughed quite a bit, and oddly i actually understood what you were saying.. not bad for a first timer

    ReplyDelete